Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict

“I’m going to be late.”  Up until about a year ago, if I were to be given a dollar coin every time I heard this phrase, let’s just say my piggy bank would be well fed without much effort on my part. This is because I had a friend who just couldn’t seem to integrate the concept of punctuality into her personality. I didn’t hate her for it, in fact she was and still is one of my best friends, but this only made addressing her bad habit more complicated than if it concerned a complete stranger.  Before her late-coming was resolved, I developed my own bad habit of letting her tardiness slide because while I yearned to tell her enough is enough, I was fearful that the confrontation might change the dynamics of our friendship. Hence I was always side stepping the issue.  I got used to having to wait for her for 15 minutes, an hour, sometimes even an hour and a half. The problem was that it was getting on the nerves of the other people we regularly hung out with.
The straw that broke the camel’s back occurred last April, when this friend, let’s call her S, myself and our other friends decided to get together to celebrate one of our birthdays. We were going to have a picnic and S was allocated the all important task of buying the cake before joining the rest of us in the park.  When the day finally came, it was no surprise that S was nowhere to be seen at the appointed meeting time. However, we decided to wait a little longer before giving her a phone call to obtain her whereabouts. After 20 minutes had passed, my other friends were getting impatient and so one of them, let’s call her K, placed the phone call.
After 3 unsuccessive attempts, K finally got through to S. However, to our horror, S informed us that she was still at home. And perhaps the heat had gotten to our heads, but a shouting match then erupted between S and K over the phone. While I did not manage to catch S’s side of the conversation, I distinctly heard K use words such as irresponsible and tardy, and after yelling at her to grow up and start respecting other peoples’ time, K hung up in a huff. And as though as an afterthought, she proceeded to send a text message to S telling her not to show up for the picnic, nor any of our gatherings for that matter, until she could manage to be on time. At that point, I felt like we all shared K's sentiments, yet I was speechless at how brash she had been in handling the matter. Needless to say, S didn’t reply. She also refused to show up for our gatherings for a good 2 months, and even when she did, it took another month before she warmed up to K again.
Thankfully, the curtain has fallen on that chapter of our lives and we have since resolved this interpersonal conflict. But there is no doubt that K could have handled the situation better instead of yelling at S. In fact, I could have handled the situation better as well, instead of evading the problem and giving it the opportunity to escalate to such proportions.
So how do you think K or myself could have better resolved this situation?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gail!

    You reproduced the story really good! I got a lot of empathy when I read your post and it made me feel like I was one of you guys sitting at the picnic and hearing the phone call to S.

    Over to your question:
    The best thing both you and K could have done is to tell your friend from the beginning, when you realized she is having this bad habit. You should have in a nice way continuously tried to remind her about how you feel when she is late. Of course you need to let her know that you don't tell her this to be bad, instead tell her that you want to help her to improve herself.

    Everything is better to deal with before it has gone too far, then it is easier to manage your emotions.

    I am happy to hear the curtain has fallen on that chapter of your lives and that you guys can hang out again. It also seems like every person in this conflict have learnt from this, that is the most important thing!

    Thank you. See you in class on Friday!
    Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sofie!

      before I respond to your comment, I just want to say its really great that you're so vocal in class! I'm always telling myself to speak up more but sometimes it doesn't happen. I should make that my new year's resolution.

      Anyway, I think your suggestiong of emphasising that I am admonishing S out of concern is very relevant and might actually help to reduce the element of confrontation in that situation. I think this ties in with Mikaela's comment that punctuality is so important in areas of life like our career. I suppose if we are good enough friends then she would have understood that I had good intentions right?

      Thanks for your comments! I'll definitely bear that in mind if I encounter another conflict next time!

      Delete
  3. Hi Gail,

    I agree with Sofie that it was easy to relate to your story, well written!

    In my opinion you could probably have avoided this situation if you had talked to S as fast as you noticed her repeated habit to be late. A part of being a good friend is to dare to speak of things regarding the other person that interfere you and others. Always being late is something that can ruin both personal life and carrier possibilities and even if S would have been angry at first I think she would have understood that you were doing her a favor by telling her about how other people responds to that she always is late after a while.

    I am happy to hear that this interpersonal conflict is solved, and I hope that the solution includes that S has understood the importance of being in time.

    Mikaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mikaela!

      I really agree with your statement that part of being a good friend is being able to speak up about the other person's short comings, as long as it's for their personal development and not to bring them down. Looking back, I think the reason why I hesitated with S was because I am a very non confrontational person! I hate getting into conflicts with people or getting into uncomfortable situations. And sometimes that is a bad thing. Haha perhaps I should try to be more assertive about certain things!

      Thanks for your comments! (:

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Gail, for this well described conflict scenario. You clearly and concisely present the key characters and the final problem situation. The build up in your description makes the tension palpable. The question you pose addresses the core point.

    You have also garnered very realistic, appropriate advice from your readers.

    I appreciate your sharing.

    ReplyDelete