Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Evaluating the Oral Presentation


The past month has seen Phyllis, Baowen and I rocket through the ups and downs of our research project. During this time, we really grew into our roles as founders and innovators of SingaBrella, and it went from being just any other school project, to something that we didn’t mind investing our time and effort into. In some way, this idea had become our ‘baby’! Last Friday, all our efforts in cultivating what we hoped would be a stellar research project culminated in the 20 minute oral presentation which all of you were audience to.

My preparation for this presentation included watching a clip entitled Best Elevator Pitch on Youtube, which I have also embedded into this post for you guys to take a look at. Although the speaker was giving only a 2 minute presentation, I was extremely impressed by the way he was able to use catch phrases and numbers to seize the attention of his audience, as well as the smoothness of his delivery despite the pace of his speech. This served as the inspiration for the script that I eventually prepared for the presentation. By practicing extensively (my dog has been privy to multiple renditions of my scriptJ) I was able to achieve a state in which I reduced my use of fillers, of which I received comments about during the mock presentation.  



Looking back on the presentation, I felt that everything went well, and that even the minor glitches, such as the faulty clicker, failed to seriously throw us off balance. In fact, I was really proud of Phyllis despite her mental white out, in that she was able to control her emotions well enough to finish her portion of the presentation where others might have already given up. I felt that the core strength of our presentation was the conviction that all 3 of us had in our idea and our ability to express this confidence in not only our words, but also in our non verbal interactions. This was key in helping us to market our idea as a pressing need, rather than an option that could be done without. In addition, it brought our delivery to a whole different level of effectiveness. Another aspect of our presentation which I felt was commendable was that our slides, save for the SWOT analysis, weren’t overly wordy. In fact, the bulk of our slides comprised of photographs or diagrams. Perhaps we were able to handle this minimalist approach to our presentation slides primarily because we practiced extensively beforehand, as well as the fact that the month we spent developing this idea allowed us to internalise the content well enough to reduce dependency on our slides.

All in all, I think this oral presentation was a great learning experience, and it was a great way to put to use everything that I learnt in this course so far. Thanks to everyone who gave comments, and THANK YOU Phyllis and Baowen! It was a pleasure doing this project with you guys; I really had a lot of fun! J

12 comments:

  1. Hey Gail,

    I like the video a lot. So that's where you drew your inspiration from. I think your opening was really engaging and made the audience want to know more about your product.

    I must say your practice paid off. Your presentation was really a smooth delivery. I was really sold on the idea although I had to play the role of the vending machine supplier and ask tough questions.

    I think you performed well despite the glitches. You were unfazed when many would have been thrown off balance. That could only have been because you knew your content well enough.

    Thank you for your sharing. I learnt quite a lot from you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kel Ley,

      thanks for the positive comments on the presentation!By the way I thought the way you all decided to pronounce FitNUS as fitness was really quite innovative and funny! Great job on that!

      Delete
  2. Hello Gail,
    I also liked the movie. The guy talking was really convincing, even if he made me a bit stressed by talking so fast haha. Thanks for sharing it!

    I agree with you that one main strength of your presentation was that you really believed in your idea. I think you sounded really confident during the whole presentation, and used your slides very well to communicate your message. Also I think the way you ended the presentation was impressing and made me even more convinced that your idea was very good :)

    See you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mikaela,

      Thanks for the positive comments!(: I also found the video clip very inspiring, and I was very happy when I found it on YouTube haha. I think we can all keep this guy in mind when we do our next presentation!

      Delete
  3. Hey Gail!

    Wow, that guy in the video was really impressive. I could feel his enthusiasm about his product. Thanks for sharing that video.

    From your presentation, I could sense that you put in a lot of effort in crafting your presentation and practicing it. You knew your product well and most importantly you believe in it. It was easy to follow your ideas. As such, you pitch your ideas in a convincing tone. If I was a potential stakeholder, I would certainly invest in this project.

    Well done:)See you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dwayne!

      Thanks for your positive comments! Maybe one day SingaBrella will become a reality, when that happens we'll keep you in mind:D

      See you around school!

      Delete
  4. Hi Gail

    Thank you for sharing that video! The guy is really impressive, though it was slightly too fast paced for me!

    Having heard your mock presentation, I really think that you improved a lot, especially in reducing the use of fillers. However, both times I was blown away by how convincing you are and I think you were really confident of your product.

    I am still feeling guilty that the clicker did not work for you. But I am glad that you were unfazed by all the technical glitches.

    Well done & see you in class!

    -XW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xiaowei!

      No worries about the clicker, it must have been because I was having too much fun playing with the laser and pointing it at people. Haha my bad! (: Thanks for lending it to us in the first place though!

      Thanks for the positive comments also. I think memorising my script well helped me to erase the fillers. I think you improved greatly from your mock presentation as well. Great job and see you around! (:

      Delete
  5. Hi Gail,

    Your final oral presentation was impressive! You sounded confident and I could tell that you have put in a lot of efforts in rehearsing. I think you also had captured the tactics of how the guy had presented and used it for your presentation. It was easy to follow and you were engaging well with the audience. Great job!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle!(:

      Thanks for the positive comments! I'm glad I was able to express myself well in the presentation. Actually one thing I always wonder about is my facial expression during the presentation! Sometimes I don't know whether I'm smiling or looking blur haha. Anyway randomness aside, I felt you did a great job too! (:

      See you around!

      Delete
  6. Hello Gail,

    THANKYOU for being such an awesome teammate. Thanks for coming up with this innovative umbrella vending machine idea, and YES, we are finally done with your presentations and proposal.

    In fact, I have actually learn a lot from you. Thank you for taking up the "leader's" role for keeping track of our progress, encouraging me when I feel really down, proof-reading our proposal, planning for the next meet up and ensuring that everyone is doing good.

    Its really a pleasure to be in your team. Like you, I did not see this project as a chore, it was more of a "fun" project to do. I really like the rapport we have.

    Lastly, your awesome presentation!! Your presentation really made Singabrella stand out. Lets collaborate and sell this to other investors and earn big bucks together!!!!See you around in school. Remember to wave to me when you see me the next time :)


    Cheers,

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis!

      Thanks for your very positive comments(: I think we three made a great team! It was a pleasure working together. Thanks for always being so friendly and funny!

      Good luck in all your future presentations! (: I'm sure you'll do a great job!

      Delete